Floodwaters swamped the Cypress & Houston areas yesterday, turning neighborhood streets and busy main streets into rivers. What should you do in the event that your vehicle has been flooded? Should you call your insurance company? Is your car ruined? Where should you take it?
If your car was flooded, here’s what you should do:
- Do not start your car until a thorough inspection and cleaning has been completed.
- Immediately (or as soon as conditions allow) get the car as dry as possible to reduce the amount of time that water is in contact with your car’s components.
- Write down the highest level the water reached in your vehicle. This will help qualified service advisors determine the extent of the damage, as well as assist in repairs.
- Contact a qualified, certified automotive shop to inspect and evaluate the mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle.
- Flush and replace ALL fluids, filters and gaskets that were exposed to water. Your car may drive okay now, but the longer you go, the more you increase your chances of more serious damage.
- Get your vehicle’s padding and insulation replaced. This can run as little as $100. The risk of mold developing in your car and making you sick is not worth waiting.
- Stop in at Louetta Automotive or Lake Houston Automotive to have a thorough cleaning of brake parts. If you have a rear-wheel drive vehicle, you may also need to have your bearings repacked. Again, your safety is worth the cost.
In some cases, water damage to your car can surface up to 90 days after the flood occurred, when electrical and mechanical parts begin to corrode. Don’t wait!
Can my water damage to my car be fixed?
Everything can be fixed, the question is really, how much will it cost? You can dry a car completely but still have odors, electrical problems, etc. In general, if the water goes past the floorboards, your car could be totaled.
FREE Flood Check
Louetta Automotive Can Help! We are offering FREE towing of flooded cars to any of our 7 locations and a FREE Flood Check.
Written by Louetta Automotive
You can also connect with us at: